Thursday, October 09, 2008

Two balls and a diamond in between

We mariners have a nasty reputation of being perverts. Now we of coures have worked hard at deserving it so its not be be thrown away lightly. Which is why we keep hanging our balls out for all to see. Hanging from the halyards we see something called very imaginatively as  "shapes".

These shapes are used as required by the collision regulations to indicate that the vessel is "Restricted in her ability to Manouver" or "RAM". As I have been spending most of my evenings in the US gulf doing lightering operations. As a master, it feels inherently bad to wear these shapes on my halyards, because it means that I can't take my ships anyway I want to. Adn when your 200 meters plus vessel is manouvering at distances of 20 meters from a 300 meters long ship, the last this you want to do is go any closer. I find the manouvering for this fascinating because the dynamics of working such large vessels is amazing to watch unfold. Maybe we'll have beer one day and I'll explain the hydrodynamics on paper napkins.

In the meanwhile, observe the balls.

 

7 comments:

PM Velankar. said...

We have some thing similar , Close formation of fighters which is fairly common phenomena , of transport aircraft which is not so common . Now some thing very akin to lightering - air to air refuelling .Like your Manoeuvring two vehicles in very close proximity . The only difference firstly ,the speeds at which it is done 250 odd to 350 Knots and second we don't hang our balls out :-)

PM Velankar. said...

We have some thing similar , Close formation of fighters which is fairly common phenomena , of transport aircraft which is not so common . Now some thing very akin to lightering - air to air refuelling .Like your Manoeuvring two vehicles an close proximity . The only difference firstly the speeds 220 odd to 350 Knots and second we don't hang our balls out :-)

Ken E Beck said...

Very funny! You buy the beer, I'll bring the napkins - and leave your balls on the ship.

K.C.

Vin said...

hehehhehehehheeeeeeeeeeeee...

hmmm... exciting post indeed!!!

Paul, Dammit! said...

I've got to admit, we're always a little more discreet. We like to show off one of our balls all the time, especially lately, but we keep the other goodies under wraps.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog...however, I had to close my eyes so as not to see your balls. OH MY! Next time, could you please put up a warning sign first? Would enjoy hearing (not seeing) more; I'll bring my white wine, the beer and napkins are on you!

Anonymous said...

you have a fascinating blog..:)